Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Beast From The East or The Siberian Paper Tiger?

In a little more than a month, we'll get to see Nicolay Valuev fight on American television for the first time. All we have to go by right now is his impressive record of 44 wins, no losses, but only 32 knockouts. How a seven foot tall, three hundred twenty-five pound fighter can't end all his fights with anything less than a medical emergency is beyond me. This guy is massive muscles and not much else. For example, the smaller fighter below, John Ruiz, weighs 240 pounds.


Some fighters just can't punch. The same 240 pound fighter above was knocked out in 19 seconds by David Tua. Valuev managed to prod and lean on Ruiz for a hometown, majority decision. For now, I'll lean towards Paper Tiger; he has to show me something on October 7 if he wants more esteem.

EDIT

I apologize for misrepresenting John Ruiz's record; he's only been stopped once, and never fought Michael Moorer. I've deleted the erroneous comments.

1 comment:

Xiporah said...

I don't think I've watched boxing in a good long while.